Monday, February 2, 2009

Post Secret Night

So I'm a sucker for meaty lectures and I've been looking forward to this event for a while.

The creator of Post Secret, Frank Warren, will be giving a lecture at the University of Redlands on Tuesday the 17th and I'm going. Anyone that wants to come is welcome. It's a public event, it's free and its going to be amazing.

I really appreciate the ethos behind Post Secret. Frank was carrying around a secret for decades and started this blog where he invited people to anonymously write down their secrets on a single postcard, send them to him, and he would post them. His thought was that secrets weigh us down and keep us from being ourselves so when we share them and give them away we liberate ourselves. Its turned into this remarkable nationwide community art project. He has had exhibitions everywhere and over 4 different books published consisting of these amazing postcards.

I think Frank is an original and would love the chance to listen to him for a few hours.

I'm a bit of a nerd in this respect actually. I frequently stalk the CalTech's Public Events series too. Learning is awesome and heck! Its free. :)

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm a huge fan of Post Secret, and I wish I could attend with you. Enjoy it doubly for me!

Liz the Poet said...

I might be available. I hate to be a non-commital type, but I really won't know until a few days before.